Friday 4 January 2013

Mobile phones


I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees a mobile phone as a bit of a double-edged sword. I have to admit that mine is permanently on silent. Those who know me know that if they leave a text or a message I will pick it up at some point during the day and respond.

I think my major problem with them is that people think that because you have one it is okay for them to call you up any time of the day or night and expect a response immediately. There seems to be a general feeling that if it rings, you have to answer it, no matter where you are or what you are in the middle of. Now, I understand that there are times when you are waiting for news, or have family members who are ill and it's necessary to check your phone. But honestly, most of the time it is for something completely mundane that could easily wait until you have finished your meal, conversation, or whatever else you're doing.

As a clergy wife I find them particularly vexing when people call on my husband's day off, late into the night, or very early in the morning, and then become frustrated when he doesn't respond immediately so they phone again. And again.

My mobile phone is my lifeline - in case I find myself in an emergency, or running late - not my tether by which you can reel me in whenever you like.

What would you like to rant about in modern life?

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I can relate. Just don't like the idea of being perennially contactable. I only have a cell phone at H's insistence and it's just for emergencies. I don't even know it's number, lol. That's a good excuse for not giving it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a love hate relationship with my mobile as well. I have a smart phone so I love being able to check blogs etc. when I have a few minutes. But I hate all the contact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great journal page! my sentiments exactly...you don't know how long I resisted getting a cell phone, and now have had a smart phone rather 'forced' upon me and can barely figure out how to use it. but maybe learning new stuff will keep my brain 'young?' as for being a clergy wife...I imagine it is very difficult to create boundaries for your own comfort & privacy. so great that you do journal pages...an excellent way to save one's sanity! thanks so much for stopping by my art blog and leaving a comment. I so appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you! I frequently have my -phone ringer off (on my landline too). My friends also know that they won't ever interrupt me when they call because if I don't want to be interrupted I just turn it off. Love all the texture in your colors and layers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.