Tuesday 13 March 2012

Work in progress

As I have said before, I like to make bespoke books. This is the latest one. It is a tale of courage, captivity, and cooking. Here are a few pages:








As you can see, the main protagonist is a pig. This has meant that I have had to learn to draw something approximating a pig, along with other farm animals. I've done chickens but not tackled cows, sheep, or horses yet.
It has taken me a little while to become happy with my illustrating style. I always looked at the beautiful drawings in children's books and felt very inadequate. However, my husband bought me a book called Play Pen which is a showcase of children's book illustrators from all over the world. A lot of them have very quirky styles that are immediately recognisable. Once I had seen the range of artistic styles I started to feel more comfortable with my own. We need to remember that our own unique style is just as valid as that of someone who makes their living at illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.