Friday 1 July 2016

ATCs and working small


A little while ago I agreed to do an ATC swap with Win. This week I received a lovely parcel of goodies from Canada:


And I was left feeling a bit guilty about my tardiness in sending out my own end of the swap. Normally I make things for swaps straight away as the post always takes a long time from here. This time, however, I was procrastinating. Why? Because I am used to working at least A4 size (that's approx 12 x 8.5in for my American friends). These ATCs are only 3.5 x 2.5 in!

So I decided to start out in my comfort zone and prepared an A3 page background on watercolour paper, just as I would with a journal page:



I then cut this down into 16 ATC cards. I marked the size on the back so I wasn't influenced by parts of the paper that I liked best:


I picked out 6 of the cards to work on, and added small details to the ready-made backgrounds. I even managed to do a small face - although it wasn't quite small enough to fit the whole of it on the card :) On Monday a selection of these will be in the post to Canada. And next time I need to work small, I shan't feel quite so out of my depth.


I shall be sharing this with the lovely people at Paint Party Friday. And I have plenty of ATCs left if anyone would like one.











9 comments:

  1. Love your ATC's! Happy PPF and have a creative weekend! - Irma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy! What a great idea. That would work for larger projects too! Now my head is spinning in inspiration, thank you. I have ATCs I made back in 2011-2012 when we had a local ATC weekly group. That ended and I have all these left. Not sure what to do with them. Yours are beautiful and I love the way they turned out. Just think, 6 cards, one journal page! Great job. Hugs, Rasz

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just delightful, Tracy - I love it that you got past your 'size block'. It was brilliant to start with what you knew - a larger size - so you could turn it into a number of ATC starts. Well done my art friend - I'll be so watching for the mail now, won't I?! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job and wonderful color.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are marvelous!! I have two boxes filled with ATCS from swaps I participated in and I look at them and sprinkle some around(rotating them) in my art room and by my computer desk. It's such a wonderful way to exchange miniature pieces of art:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful...these are all so vibrant and full of great energy!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love these! I did exactly the same when I first made ATC's. I couldn't figure out how to start on such a small piece of paper. Starting big somehow makes it easier. Your Canadian friend will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love how you approached this - to measure the big piece on the backside so the front would not influence the cut. Great idea to go big to small. And great results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how you did the ATCs, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by. I read and appreciate all your comments.